Hope you are well and enjoying your day!
Today is a special day for me as it is my 50th post! And what fun I am having writing and connecting with you all. I feel like I have built up a wee community, when we are up on a high, we share the love and when we are low we pull each other through it, so special. As much as I love writing, I also love reading what everyone else is up to all over the world. We all have so much in common, which is fab but also our unique qualities which make us who we are.
In order to celebrate my 50th post, I thought I would do an A-Z of me. One of my favourite things about reading blogs is finding out more about the blogger themselves. So here you go and hope you enjoy!
A = Autumn (Fall)
– I am loving autumn and all this season is bringing. I didn’t really used to like this period of the year but there is something special about autumn this time round. Maybe it’s because Glasgow is glowing under the gold and bronze tones or maybe it is because of how blessed David and I feel to have moved here and created this new life for ourselves. Or a bit of both! But one thing is certain; it is definitely exciting and buzzing!
B = Breakfast
– My favourite meal of the day! I love all that is breakfast, especially at the weekend when I get to have it in bed, with David and a big pot of coffee! I am currently trying to eliminate grains from my diet and the only time I still have them is at breakfast with cereal. Progress is going well though and I hope to share some of my new breakfasts with you all in the next few weeks. Very exciting, there are so many options out there, who needs cereal!?
C = Crossfit
– As you all know I am currently on my Crossfit journey, building up my strength and feeling fab for it. I won’t go into too much detail as you know from my posts why I love it. But what I will mention is what else Crossfit brings to my life out with the sport itself- community. David and I didn’t know anyone when we moved to Glasgow and our Crossfit box have been so welcoming, everyone is so friendly and I am enjoying getting to know them more and more.
D = Dates
– Yum! One of my favourite foods and can’t get enough of them. We fell in love with them on a trip to Oman and haven’t looked back since. Always a staple in our house – the perfect nutritious delicious snack!
E = Every night
– Every night before we go to sleep, David and I tell each other our pit and peak of the day, along with our ‘love’ of the day. It really is such a lovely tradition that helps us work out the not so good of the day (talking through this always helps, normally realising it wasn’t so bad to begin with!), what has been brilliant and what has made us go ‘I love that’!. It also means we both go to sleep with a smile on our faces – always.
– My married name. Yes it took a long time to get used to – I have been married 4 years now and sometimes it’s still strange! I think it was going from a nice short name (Hicks) to a much longer name that was the tricky part. However I am proud to take David’s name and, for me, it makes our marriage even more special.
G = Giraffe
– A random one for you, but a giraffe is my favourite animal. Tall, like me, they always seem so graceful and elegant. Beautiful creatures that I have been lucky to be up close to and even touch – they are so soft but kind of rough at the same time – hard to explain. I would love to see them in the wild though.
H = History
– I have a Master of Arts degree in History and American Studies and I loved every minute of my time at university. My passion for history will never pass, it will always be a big part of my life. I always say – how can you fully prepare for the future if you do not understand your past.
I = Ideas and inspiration to write
– I love blogging and the opportunities it has given me to write – it is what I want to do! Write and write about what I am passionate about – health and fitness. I love thinking about what I am going to write the following week, looking for inspiration all around me and writing down ideas. The idea train always has to run, I just need to remember to write them down!
J = Just Dance
– Just Dance on the Wii, very much my guilty pleasure! David and I got the game for Christmas and any time we need cheering up we put it on and have a boogy! Such great fun!
K = Kelvingrove Park
– As I have mentioned a few times, David and I go for a walk each Sunday around our local park – Kelvingrove. It is just beautiful, well kept and used by all of the community. I adore these walks and watching how the park changes each week with the seasons.
L = Learning
– I love to learn. I think this is what I really missed about university, the constant learning every day. However through this new chapter in my life, I have been able to take the opportunity to learn new things in the health and fitness sector – I am just a sponge, wanting to soak it all up! I read, listen to podcasts and try new things to understand as much as possible. It’s also great having a husband like David who is totally into it too and we can debate and discuss issues and topics and also bounce ideas off one and other. I also love to learn in other areas too – history (especially American history) will always be a hot topic for me and also travel and other cultures. I just want to know more and more! I couldn’t possibly let a day go past without knowing the news headlines for example.
M = Memory
– I am one of those random people who remember everything – faces, names, facts etc and of course the most random information! I didn’t realise it until David pointed it out to me! Maybe it stems from my desire to learn – if I learn/ experience something, I don’t want to forget it! My most random memory skill… remembering where actors and actresses have appeared before. We can’t go to the cinema or watch a movie or TV show without me going ‘oh David, that’s so in so from X’. It must be very annoying!
N = Nanars
– Ok so bananas really! But we call them nanars at home! Tasty and versatile, another staple in our house. Always buy fair trade too.
O = Oman
– The most amazing country in the world that I have been to. Not only is it beautiful in scenery and architecture, the people are just beautiful too. They all have such kind hearts, respect one and other and their country. Everyone smiles; it’s just such a positive way of life and living. It’s like they have taken the positive factors of western living and mixed it with the traditions and believes of the past. Incredible place, I would encourage anyone to visit.
P = Paleo
– David and I follow a paleo-esque lifestyle (at the moment probably about 75%) but are in the transition of becoming more and more paleo focused. The reason – we love eating whole foods and most importantly, it makes us feel great! I have never had more energy, had better digestion and enjoyed food more! We are in the process of eliminating cereal, the last source of our grains but still have rice occasionally. We both also still have a little dairy with eating natural/ greek yoghurt. It’s all about working out what is best for you and your body, what your body can and can’t process. And it wasn’t through Crossfit that we decided to adopt this lifestyle, simply through our own education and what is best for us, our bodies and our lifestyle. I really love it!
Q = Quality time with my David
– The most important times of my week are the ones I get to spend with my husband and best friend David (aww, soppy I know!). Whether it be the mornings, evenings or weekends, I treasure every moment.
R = Rowing
– I do enjoy rowing, as I’m sure you are aware! My go-to cardio of choice, I just enjoy it! Maybe one day I might get to try it out for real, rather than just on a machine. Yeh, that’s going on the ‘to do’ list!
S = Scotland
– Scotland is my home and always will be. I was born in England but we moved to Scotland when I was 6 months old (my mum is Scottish). I do however consider myself first and foremost British, then Scottish second. I don’t know how aware you all are about Scotland’s future but next year there will be an independence referendum where the country’s inhabitants will decide whether or not we wish to be independent from the rest of the UK. I really hope we stay together. I guess we will just have to wait and see the outcome.
T = Taking pictures
– Ok, ok, so a bit of a cheat there with the letter but I really wanted to fit this one in! I really enjoy all the picture taking and my improvements in photography style since starting this blog. I am lucky, David is a very good photographer so he has been giving me lots of hints and tips, but I generally have always had a good eye (I think!) for a photo opportunity. Unless you are let down by the lighting of course! But I will only improve! And David is now used to not being able to eat any meal before first taking a picture, so it’s ok on that front – ah the world of being a food blogger!
U = Urban Scrabble
– An extremely fun game that my brother created when he was bored playing the original and it always brings a smile to my face! You play just like normal scrabble but instead of using ‘real’ words, you have to create your own urban words. Anything is allowed, you just have to be able to give a definition for the word. Try it, as you can imagine, it is made even more fun with the addition of wine!
V = VCR
– Yes we do still have a VCR. Yes we do still use it to record programmes on the TV. I know we need to invest in a recording box but while the VCR still works I will keep using it!
W = Walking
– I love to walk and adore the fact that moving back to the city has meant we can walk everywhere again! When we lived in Inverness (a small town), you had to drive everywhere, there was no other choice. Everything was either far away, there wasn’t direct access or public transport was very poor. It seems so strange that living in the countryside meant that in order to go for a walk, we had to drive to get there! Now we can walk to everywhere we need or walk straight to our local country park if we want to escape and feel as if we are in the middle of nowhere. It’s perfect.
X = X marks the spot
– X marks the spot, the spot on a map, the map that Captain Hook looks at in Peter Pan, of which happens to be my favourite Disney film! Wow, that really was toughie! Clutching at straws a bit with that one but everyone has a favourite Disney film don’t they!? And I think you can tell a lot about a person from their favourite Disney.
Y = You
– Such a big shout out to all of you who read my blog. Thank you! You mean so much to me and every time I get a new follower I get so excited! Taking this step into writing was such a big leap for me, allowing me to finally do something I want to do – so your support is just fantastic!
Z = Zzzzzz
– And to end – sleep! I need my sleep, at least 8 hours but preferably 9 in order to be fully alert/ a nice person the next day! If you can get the 4 key areas of your life in order – diet, exercise, stress and sleep – then I really do believe anyone can be happy.
Here’s to 50 more posts!