Welcome to another Monday! Hope you have lots of fun things in store for the week ahead!
Today has to be the best Spill it Sunday (on Monday) topic ever and I am sooo looking forward to chatting about it with you all… drum roll please… BREAKFAST!
Linking up with the gorgeous Arman over @thebigmansworld, let’s get the breakfast party started!
First of all, the Spill it Sunday obligatory selfie – me this weekend exploring and playing hopscotch! You are never too old!
And now for the questions!
1.What is your classic go to breakfast of choice?
– I think if I had to have a ‘classic’ breakfast of choice then it would have to involve a combination of eggs, meat, a healthy fat and a carbohydrate. For example I love scrambled eggs with banana and nut butter or sunnyside up eggs with sausage and root veggies.
Oh but any breakfast, any day of the week and anywhere, has to involve coffee – hot, strong, black coffee!
2. Favourite sweet style breakfast?
– Hmm, I think my favourite sweet style breakfast would be pumpkin pancakes or Amanda’s Banana Greek Yoghurt pancakes (subbing banana for pumpkin). But dont worry banana, I use your wonderful taste as a topping instead! We enjoyed this (below) for our breakfast on Sunday – this is a picture of Davids plate, he likes to put all his toppings on in one go – mine was very similar, I just like to top and eat one pancake at a time, very odd I know!
I do love a banana scramble too though, with almond butter!
3. Favourite savoury style breakfast?
– Fish! I love a fishy breakfast, especially Kippers with sweet potato hash and a sunnyside up egg. Oh it leads to one happy Jen!
I also love rollmops at breakfast, smoked salmon and smoked mackerel. Oh smoked salmon and poached eggs, is there much finer a start to the day!?
4. Share a breakfast recipe you are a fan of- It can be your own or another bloggers!
– I do find my zucchini patties to be a super handy breakfast option. Make them the night before, heat them up and serve with fish, eggs, cottage cheese, nut butter, meat – the list is endless. Or you can have them cold and use them as ‘buns’ to make a grab and go breakfast. Equally as good incorporated into a lunch or dinner – wonder patties!
Juli over @PaleOMG has such a good recipe for 3 ingredient protein pancakes too that I rate highly.
5.Strangest breakfast you’ve ever eaten?
– Hmm, a strange breakfast? Nope dont think I have ever had one of those! I think it’s because I would class anything as a breakfast, lunch or dinner option, sweet or savoury. Steak and sweet potatoes – yep that’s a breakfast, sushi – yep, butternut squash, kale and cranberries with chicken – yep breakfast too! Even leftover chilli can be mixed with some scrambled eggs and made into the most delish breakfast!
6. Do you have a typical breakfast routine?
– Oh yes, David and I have a good breakfast menu for the week that we are really happy with. As we do CrossFit in the mornings, we need a good re-fuel. The days we don’t do CrossFit, well, they need to simply set us up for the day ahead! It tends to go as follows
Monday – Banana Scramble with almond butter
Tuesday – Zucchini Patties with hard boiled eggs and fish
Wednesday – I tend to have scrambled eggs, banana and almond butter, David (at the moment) tends to go for protein pancakes (see above) with banana, blueberries and greek yoghurt.
Thursday – Brussels Sprout, Pancetta and cranberry omelette
Friday – Banana Oats (I can tolerate oatmeal max once a week)
Saturday – eggs, sausage and root veggies
Sunday – changes every week but it is usually something that takes a bit longer to make like smoked fish and sweet potato hash.
And breakfast always involves catching up with the news – both week days and at the weekends. Monday – Saturday – breakfast TV. Sunday – Sunday newspapers.
So there we have it – breakfast, the meal of the gods! And it really is, nothing else can prepare you for the day ahead (both mind and body) better than a nutritional breakfast!
What is your favourite breakfast? Is there one breakfast item you couldn’t live without? I think mine would be eggs!